Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Perils of Public Transportation (i miss my car!!!!)

Since moving to STGO a year ago, I really haven't minded taking public transportation and at first I was totally stoked on it cuz in FoCo, let's face it, TransFort is about 99.3% worthless and I'd never lived in a city that actually functioned via Public Transportation (no, the light-rail in Denver does not count). After some time, I realized that it, in fact, has it's downfalls-- ie: not so sexy when "guy with back sweat who smells like cigarettes and old cheese" rubs up against you and, trust me, he will. Not so amusing when you're just about to get on the Metro and a drunk girl pukes right point-blank on the whole front side of your body. YES THAT HAPPENED TO ME and NO I don't wanna talk about it (will haunt me for yearz). And Jesus Christ, STOP STARING AT ME (a national Chilean sickness). And not so endearing what I'm about to tell you.... what happened today... on the way home....

Well my friends, the first problem in this story is that I had to wait for the damn bus for about 30 minutes (excessive, even for Chilean public transport) and, as a result, I commenced the voyage a bit peeved in the first place. Patience, alas, is not exactly one of my virtues. It finally arrives and the sweaty, smelly, mass of completely bad mannered people push, shove, and toss themselves into the vehicle before it ever so jerkily lurches off. I begin to inch my way to the middle because my stop is one of the first and I have to ensure that I'm actually able to exit the bus; people aren't exactly friendly in letting you off which has prolifically improved my elbow throwing skillz. The bus stops at the next stop. Cool, just doin' it's thang, ok ok. After about the 1 minute waiting impatience limit, we're all like, "Ok dude, WTF lets get this bitch rolling what's the hold up?" all mumbly, grumbly, and annoyed. I naively thought, "hmm, maybe the doors aren't closing properly..." Au contraire. AU CONTRAIRE.

All of a sudden, this boy (about 17 maybe?) sucker punches the bus driver!!! And they begin the biggest bus brawl I have ever witnessed (hopefully it will be the last as well). Straight up choking each other, face punching, slapping, the whole 9 yards. I start to get a little panicky cuz, while I'm situated in the middle, I'm like, in between the front and the middle (1/4) and you never know where the fight is doing to disperse. Which I clearly didn't need to worry about because the next thing I know they have rolled onto the sidewalk and are, again, choking one another, tossing punches, kicking, body slamming, etc... this is serious people. Eventually a few brave passer-bys pulled them apart amidst the screaming, slurs, and attempted physical contact, and the bus driver pulls himself back to the driver's seat. Phew... that was a close one... Could have gotten seriously ugly...

PSYCH!!

Just as everyone is calming down, gathering their composure and preparing to hit the road for realz this time

THE KID THROWS A (seriously good sized) ROCK AND HITS THE DRIVER IN THE HEAD. The poor guy begins bleeding all over the place and the asshole kid has the balls to THROW ANOTHER ROCK, BREAKING THE WINDOW OF THE BUS. Holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit.... Of course the rotten flaite piece of trash runs away while this guy is gushing blood (eeeh, thank god not on me...) allll over the place. Clearly he is not giving us a ride home... It was awful. Awful. AWFUL. Bleeding everywhere.

The sickest part about it is that the brawl was most likely caused because the pendejo didn't pay the fare of $400 pesos (less than a dollar). Is it really that important? There are hundreds of people who sneek onto the bus everyday, ugh it annoys the s#!t outta me, please stop being so trashy. But what actually surprised me is the quantity of people who called the police/ambulance. From what I've heard, seen, and experienced, being proactive in a dire situation isn't a particularly lustrous Chilean quality. It's that mentality of "someone else will take action" or "I'm not accountable in this situation." It's not pretty... but at least today numerous onlookers were profoundly enough disturbed as to warrant taking initiative.

I can't say I'm too excited to have to take the bus again, and again, and again. But there's really no other option at this (young and broke) stage in life. Damn.

///////UNLESS-----
I go home... steal my car back from my sister, and go on the most BADASS road-trip EVER from Colorado to Santiago... Now just go ahead and tell me that wouldn't be cool...

////Has something like this ever happened to you on public transportation?
////What is the most disturbing thing you have seen/experienced on a bus/metro?
////Would you be jealous if I managed to rock the roadtrip? Wanna come with?!
////

4 comments:

  1. Yikes, woman! Public transportation sounds...awesome? haha. But seriously, I wish Denver had a better system! That's scary, though. Hell yeah, you should do the road trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "And Jesus Christ, STOP STARING AT ME."

    That sentence alone makes me feel like we would probably be friends if we met. I hope you say that to the people that stare. In Spanish, obvio po :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh man... INTENSE....

    I was on the subway in Chicago, when some guy decided to take his own life by jumping in front of the train... ya, everyone had to exit the train underground and walk past the station where the dude jumped...not cool.. and without the subway running the whole cities transportation was jacked

    ReplyDelete