Friday, November 27, 2009

Chao. On. This.

Thanksgiving 2009 was not held under traditional pretenses. No way José. As previously noted, I'm taking a decidedly backseat position in regards to this year's holiday season since I'm not able to be with my family (and eggnog just wouldn't taste the same in 90° weather). As such, I declined to partake in the T-day festivities this year with a surprisingly positive attitude and, to be frank, indifference. Did I eat more than usual at lunch? Sure, but it's not like I indulged in a pecan pie and 8 servings of mashed potatoes. I ate... a piece of bread. Quite a celebration in name of the pilgrims n' injuns. Mazel Tov. Although-... I just wanted to absolutely cry this morning when Eugene (one of my fav coworkers) brought an apple pie to our daily 15 minute meeting to make me feel better about missing Thanksgiving. I've since designated him a my Chilean grandpa. Adorable. <3 him.

In place of consuming 283760 calories in one sitting, I went and saw Manu Chao at the velodrome del Estado Nacional en Ñuñoa. It. Was. Awesome. My BFF BombayFox was right when he said that it was the best show he'd ever seen (which by the way includes our pre-Pepsi Center-fame Coldplay concert for which we waited outside in the snow for 6 hours on Colfax). For the $12.000 pesos I (finally) paid for the ticket (roughly $24 USD), it could be considered the best value for a concert I've ever forked up. Though he had no intro band, and we arrived a tad late, the band played for a solid 3.5 hours. And by solid, I mean they didn't stop making a noise/sound-of-some-sort for the duration of their set. It got to the point where I started to wonder if I would ever get home or if they would just rock out until, well, they passed out. After about 20 encores (not exaggerating), they called the curtain and we walked away with buzzing ears and achy feet. Was worth every peso.

As seconded by LL, the coolest thing about their concert was that all the songs flowed together, some of the songs intertwined, and some were a totally unique- if not improved- version of the original. Really, there's nothing better than an artist who has the ability to enhance what is already spectacular. And that he did. The show went on and, in what can only be considered a politically motivated move, he invited a Mapuche girl to do a traditional performance with him, after which he wrapped himself in the Mapuche flag gifted to him (that remained wrapped around his waist for the duration of the concert), and played Politik Kills. Subtle... But attention-catching. This being my first "famous band" concert in Chile, I was thoroughly impressed; I love that people here dance. Everyone dances. The crowd moves as one.

I could get used to this Thanksgiving day tradition. But until next year rolls around, digo que volando vengo, volando voy. Que la vida, sí, es una tombola.







1 comment:

  1. pase lo que pase, sea lo que sea,
    proxima estación esperanza!!

    ReplyDelete