Wednesday, March 24, 2010

COMM 401: Cross Cultural Communication

It really is highly entertaining living in another culture, sharing various idiosyncrasies that you've never stumbled upon, being kept on your toes in attempts to maneuver across, in-between, among the lines of cross-cultural snafus/awkwardness/unexpectedness.  Never ceases to surprise.  This is obvious people, I mean, what are we, in Sophomore year of college in Dr. Caputo's International and Intercultural COMM 401 class??  Come on.  But despite having taken this incredibly worthless and 100% self-teachable class, I still find myself surprised by cultural differences that just really aren't that noticeable but call my attention. 

EXAMPLE (duh)


I'm skipping out on Santiago starting Friday and about 96% of the people I tell respond with the following, shocked, inquiry:

AWW ESTÁS DEJANDO TU POLOLO SOLO?????  VA ESTAR BOTADO SOLITO POBRECITO POR UNA SEMANA????
(Awwww you're leaving your boyfriend alone???? He is gonna be ALL alone for ONE week????  How could you (gasp)?!?! )

The amount of surprise with which is question is appallingly asked is, to be honest, off-putting.  Yes- I loooove my BF, yes- I'll miss him and his adorable little face, yes- I'm coming back... BUT I THINK HE'LL SURVIVE. Really.  I think he'll live to tell the story at the end of the 7 days I so coldly and heartlessly left him alone.  Like really?  Is this level of drama necessary?  Are we the only freaks in this country who have our own lives but are able to share them with one another?  Hmm.  I don't know.  It's weird. 

Just caught my attention.  Definitely not a big deal.  I'm just so bored that mundane things excite me in to blogging.  My apologies.  Gonna go back to perfecting the art of sleeping with my eyes open...........

No comments:

Post a Comment