Monday, June 14, 2010

An Interesting Chilean Beauty Phenomenon...

Womens' beauty rituals can get pretty freaky wherever you might be on the planet.  From dipping your feet into a tank replete with skin nibbling fish to achieve soft, sexy piggys, to colorful caviar facials, to (odd, and confirmed, weird ritual winner) bull-semen hair conditioner-- there's not many a limit we wont cross to achieve what we (or others) assert to be beautiful.

I can't claim to be fully astute in terms of Chilean beautification tactics, but I will forever remember the first time I observed, with a twisted "wtf are you doing?!" face, a girl casually curling her eyelashes with.... a spoon.  Just like this:

 
And since I actually knew this chica, I know that she could spring for the oh-so-pricey $5 eyelash curler that didn't come from mom's cutlery drawer.  I mean, the whole thing was terrifying.  How could she not be simultaneously ripping out each and every cherished beautiful lash??  Hers are actually quite gorgeous which is the worst part.  It was painful to watch. 

But the thing is, is that that was the first of many spoon lash curling encounters.  I see almost all of my compañeras at work doing it and it seriously still gives me the heeby geebies.  They curl 'em on the bus, on the metro, wherever it might strike their fanning fancy.  Maybe they have it all right though now that I think about it.... seeing as a couple of months ago I was doing the same thing but with a normal-person-eyelash curler, flinched, and pulled out mmmm about 50 lashes.  Not pleasant.  Horrifying, actually.  But not enough to change my gringa beauty habits for those fit for a dinner table.

In fact, in doing the "research" for this post, I was semi-shocked to find an actual market for spoon-lash-crimpers.  Just ingenious.  This is not just any spoon ladies, but a unique, one-of-a-kind, youhavetohaveit youcantlivewithoutit, eyelash spoon curler.  Hilarious. I mean, you would buy a fancified spoon, but not an actual eyelash-curler??  Stumped.  Maybe the Chilean definition of said tool is, in fact, a spoon... There's something semantic to ponder...


//What are your "weird" beauty rituals?
//Does curling your lashes with a spoon freak u out too??
//Have you ever used bullgizz conditioner???

1 comment:

  1. I just can't figure out how using a spoon actually curls them!!!???

    ReplyDelete